REACH is the new European Union (EU) chemicals legislation
dealing with the Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and
Restriction of CHemicals. REACH covers chemical substances
as such, in preparations or in articles intended to be released.
The regulation replaces numerous EU laws and is
complementary to other environmental and safety
What are the objectives?
• Ensure a high level of protection from exposure to
chemicals in order to safeguard human health and the
• Provide improved risk management
• Stimulate innovation and competitiveness of the EU
Are all substances subject to registration?
Yes, all substances manufactured or imported in
the EU in quantities above 1 tonne per year.
However there are exemptions from certain parts
of the legislation, for example, chemicals in food
and medicine are covered by other EU laws.
Who is affected?
Everyone in the supply chain dealing with chemical
substances will have certain obligations.
• Manufacturers or importers of chemical substances or
mixtures of chemical substances located in the EU
• Distributors of chemical substances
• Downstream users (Industrial users, End-user,
Formulator, Re-filler) processing chemicals, formulating
preparations (mixtures) for end use
or using formulated products as part of their business